Daniel Boone is a symbol of a true frontiersman, making him a natural dress-up choice for adventuresome boys. Although the real Daniel Boone traveled the frontier in buckskin leggings, a loose-fitting shirt made from animal skins and a wide-brimmed beaver pelt hat, most associate the name with the character played by Fess Parker on the old TV series and his outfit of fringed leggings and shirt with a coonskin cap. It takes only a few items to make a Daniel Boone costume for your child.
Items you will need
- Brown felt
- Brown pants in child's size
- Sewing machine
- Brown thread
- Adult-size brown shirt (or large child's shirt if child is small)
- Brown cotton fabric
- Leather belt
- Toy powder horn
- Toy hatchet
- Brown yarn
- Purchased faux coonskin cap
- Leather moccasins or faux buckskin bedroom slippers
- Toy long rifle
Cut several pieces of brown felt in half lengthwise.
Cut slits in the felt to form fringe, taking care not to cut all the way through. Adjust the fringe size for smaller children.
Sew the fringe strips to the outside seams of the pants along the entire length.
Roll up the cuffs of the shirt and stitch in place or cut to shorten so the shirt doesn't cover the child's hands.
Cut a cape-like collar out of brown cotton fabric and stitch it to the shirt. It should cover the shoulders and fall about to the armpits in the back.
Cut a piece of brown felt in half lengthwise, then cut each half in half lengthwise again. Make fringe strips and sew onto the shirt collar.
Cut a few more brown felt pieces in half lengthwise and create fringe. Sew these strips to the outsides of the arms.
Completing the OutfitStep 1
Dress the child in the fringed shirt and pants.
Cinch the waist of the shirt with a leather belt. Tie accessories such as a toy powder horn, a toy hunting knife and a toy hatchet to the leather belt. Sewing a small drawstring bag out of leftover brown fabric and using yarn for the drawstring can also create a "bullet pouch."
Place a faux coonskin cap on top of the child's head.
Slide leather moccasins or fake buckskin bedroom slippers on the child's feet and add a toy long rifle to complete the frontiersman look.
Tips & Warnings
- Purchase a pair of brown pants at a thrift store or yard sale if you child doesn't have an old pair.
- You can find faux-fur coonskin caps online or in a costume store.
- Most schools do not allow toy weapons. Leave these accessories home if the child is wearing the costume to school.
- Jupiterimages/liquidlibrary/Getty Images