Sending your guests home with party favors, small gifts meant to thank guests for coming, is one detail that can make a celebration even more memorable. When throwing an Oriental-themed party, incorporate your favors into the theme. Homemade fortune cookies are an Oriental party favor that can be customized and incorporated into any celebration whether it is a birthday party or a wedding. Making homemade fortune cookies instead of using store-bought trinkets as party favors will show your guests the time and consideration you put into the celebration.
Items you will need
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 3 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 8 tbsp. white flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 8 tbsp. sugar
- 4 tsp. water
- 2 mixing bowls
- Electric mixer
- 2 cookie sheets
- Muffin tray
- Fortune cookie sayings printed on paper with non-toxic ink
- White or dark chocolate
- Food coloring, if desired
- Small mixing bowl
Combine the first four ingredients in a mixing bowl. Start with the egg whites and then add the vanilla and almond extracts and finally the vegetable oil. Whisk this mixture until it is frothy.
Combine the dry ingredients in a separate mixing bowl. Sift together the flour, cornstarch, salt and sugar. Add the water to turn the dry ingredients into a paste.
Add the egg mixture into the flour mixture a little bit at a time while mixing with an electric mixer.
Grease your cookie sheet. Using a tablespoon of batter for each cookie, drop the batter onto the cookie sheet. Use the bottom of a spoon to spread the batter for each cookie so that it creates a thin circle about 4 inches in diameter. Leave 2 inches of space between each cookie.
Bake for 10-15 minutes at 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
Ensure that your fortunes are printed and cut and ready to be placed into the cookies while the cookies are baking. You will need to work quickly once you remove the cookies from the oven, so have the fortunes close at hand.
Remove the cookies from the oven when the edges are golden but the center is still pale. Use a spatula to remove the cookie from the cookie sheet. Place a fortune in the center of the cookie circle and then fold the circle in half. Then bend the semi-circle over the edge of a mug and hold it there for a few moments to create the fortune cookie shape. Place the cookie in a muffin tin to cool. This will ensure that it keeps its shape.
Melt white or dark chocolate in a small mixing bowl by microwaving it for a minute on high power. If using white chocolate, you may add food coloring once the chocolate is melted if you wish.
Dip your cooled fortune cookies into the melted chocolate and then place them on a cooling rack until the chocolate hardens.
Tips & Warnings
- For an added touch, consider placing your homemade fortune cookie favors in Oriental take-out boxes, which can be purchased at hobby and craft stores. This will enhance the Oriental theme of your party and will make it easy for guests to transport the cookies home.
- In order to prevent the other cookie circles from hardening on the cookie sheet while you fold the first one, try removing only one circle from the sheet at a time and placing the cookie sheet back in the oven, leaving the oven door open, so that the remaining cookie circles will stay soft and warm until you remove them for folding.
- The cookies will be hot once removed from the oven, but they harden quickly, so you will need to work fast. To avoid burning your fingers, wear protective gloves when folding your fortune cookies.
- Ciaran Griffin/Stockbyte/Getty Images