Making a nurse costume out of materials you have at home will take less than an hour, so it is a great choice as a last-minute costume for bachelorette parties or Halloween. Putting together an outfit out of things you already have also saves the cost of an expensive ready-made costume or new materials. A quick search of most households should yield the essential ingredients for a nurse's uniform.
Items you will need
- Cereal box
- 8 1/2 by 11-inch sheet of paper
- Red marker
- 1 yard 1/2-inch-diameter plastic pipe
- Corrugated card
- Craft foam
- Clear sticky tape
- Silver and black pen
Paper Nurse's HatStep 1
Cut two 1 1/2-inch wide strips of cardboard lengthwise from the front or back panel of a cereal box.
Staple the two strips together at one end and wrap the long strip around the wearer's head.
Hold the strip where it overlaps and slip it off the wearer's head. Staple it together to make a headband.
Lay the sheet of paper on the work surface with one long side nearest you.
Fold the paper up to within 1 ½ inches of the top.
Turn the paper over left to right. Fold the top corners in by about 30 degrees and turn the paper over again.
Draw the outline of a cross with equal length, ¾-inch wide arms on the front piece of the hat in the center.
Color in the cross with a red marker.
Fix the hat-shape to the headband with the stapler.
Homemade StethoscopeStep 1
Cut 1 yard of 1/2-inch diameter plastic tube into one half and two quarters with scissors.
Join the tube together in a Y-shape using clear sticky tape.
Tape or glue a 1 ½-inch diameter corrugated cardboard circle to the bottom of the Y-shape and two 1/2-inch-diameter circles of craft-foam to the tops.
Cardboard Nurse's Fob WatchStep 1
Draw the outline of a nurse's fob watch on card.
Color the short strap and the outline of the watch face in silver or gray.
Mark out the numbers on the watch face. Remember that when worn, the watch face is upside-down when you look at it straight on---the wearer looks down at it and sees the numbers the correctly.
Cut the watch out and pin the strap to the nurse's top with a safety-pin.
Tips & Warnings
- Wear a white t-shirt, top or blouse; a tennis skirt or other white skirt; a pair of white tights and a pair of white trainers or slippers as the base of the costume.
- If you can't find a white skirt and tights, wear white trousers. Pale blue or green pajamas and blue or green shoes is an alternative to the white costume.
- For the craft parts of this project instead of a stapler, use paper glue, and replace the red marker with crayon, paint or colored-pencil.
- Use old electrical cable, wire cutters and duct tape for the body of the stethoscope, rather than plastic tube, scissors and clear sticky tape.
- Circles of corrugated cardboard or flattened balls of modelling clay are suitable alternatives to the foam stethoscope earpieces.
- Color the watch face outline and strap with a gray pencil or crayon if you don't have a silver pen.
- Brand X Pictures/Brand X Pictures/Getty Images