Large chunky crayons shaped like hearts are straightforward to make, and they are excellent gifts or party favors. Teach young children to make heart crayons out of their old crayons, or make a number of them to hand out at weddings or other romantic gatherings. Make your heart crayons out of crayons of complimentary colors or out of colors that do not match at all, creating a unique variegated effect.
Items you will need
- Heart-shaped muffin or cookie tin
Preheat the oven to 275 degrees Fahrenheit.
Peel the paper covers from the crayons.
Break the crayons into one inch pieces.
Place the crayons in the cups of a heart-shaped muffin or cookie tin. The crayons should fill between ½ to ¾ of each cup.
Place the tin in the oven for between 6 to 8 minutes. This allows the crayons to melt entirely.
Remove the tin from the oven and allow it to cool completely. When the wax cools, it will be hard to the touch.
Pop the crayons out of the tin by inverting the tin over a table and pushing on the bottom of the cups.
Tips & Warnings
- Swirl the liquid crayons with a toothpick when they first come out of the oven. This gives the wax a beautiful swirled effect.
- You can use candy molds as well; melt the crayons in an empty soup can on the stove top in another pot filled with water as a double boiler. When crayons are melted, pour them into the candy molds. Remove once cooled and hardened.
- Be careful when removing the tin from the oven, as both the tin and the crayon wax will be very hot.
- Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images