Flower balls made out of fabric are an attractive way to decorate a topiary, pews or chair backs or to hang from different areas to add a soft, feminine look to a room. Flower balls are useful in decorating weddings and receptions, bridal or baby showers or anywhere you desire delicate and attractive fabric pom poms.
Items you will need
- Beverage glass
- Fabric (approximately 1 yard)
- Chinese lanterns or 3- to 6-inch foam balls
- Hot glue gun
- Narrow ribbon that coordinates with the fabric
Set a beverage glass onto the fabric and trace circles all over the surface. Position the circles close together to prevent waste.
Cut out the fabric circles with the scissors.
Fold a fabric circle in half and place a dot of hot glue into the center of the fold and then fold the edges together to form a "V" shape.
Add another bead or two to the folded section of the fabric and press it onto the foam ball or Chinese lantern. Repeat this with all the fabric circles. Place them close together to completely cover the ball.
Cut the coordinating narrow ribbon twice the length that you want the hanger to be for your flower ball.
Tie the ends of the narrow ribbon together in a simple knot to form a loop. Glue one end of the ribbon to the lantern or use a pushpin in the foam ball to hold the hanger in place. Add a bead of glue before sticking the pushpin into the foam ball.
Hang the fabric flower balls wherever you desire to add a feminine touch to the decor.
Tips & Warnings
- Leave the ribbon hanger off the fabric flower ball. Set it on top of a mirror tile and place it in the middle of a table for an unusual centerpiece.
- Stick a wooden dowel into the center of the foam ball before decorating it with the fabric circles. Paint the dowel green once the fabric is added and then stick it into a small flower pot filled with soil once the paint dries. This creates a lovely topiary.
- Use different coordinating fabrics if you want to create multicolored fabric flower balls.
- Hemera Technologies/PhotoObjects.net/Getty Images