Pocahontas is a historical Native American figure-turned Disney character. So there are plenty of sources of inspiration to look to when you want to create the ideal Pocahontas homemade costume. There are a few simple steps to take when constructing a Pocahontas costume to ensure that it will turn out right.
Items you will need
- Leather belt
- Knit cap
- Black yarn
- Brown socks
Create a headband from an old leather belt and decorate the belt by gluing on beads, feathers, fringe or even buttons and sequins. Use extra feathers attached to ribbon for the fringe.
Recycle a light brown dress, jumper or long skirt for the main body of the costume. Sew or glue a line of beads or fringe to the hems of the skirt.
Use an old vest for the costume. Either an ultra-suede, leather or denim fabric will go well with the rest of the costume. Glue ribbon, beads and feathers on the fringe of the vest to dress it up to fit the rest of the costume.
Attach strands of black yarn to an old knitted cap to create Pocahontas' long, straight hair.
Use thick brown socks over your regular shoes and lace your calves with leather strips for moccasins. These can be decorated with turquoise, yellow and red beads for decoration.
Tips & Warnings
- Always give your child a flashlight if they are dressing as Pocahontas for Halloween.
- Try to use as many ultra-suede or leather elements as you can in the costume. If you have any old costumes, such as cowboy chaps, try to reuse those.
- Use feathers with natural colors (white, black, brown, speckled) for a more authentic look. Rainbow colored feathers are good for kids' costumes.
- If your hair is already dark, you can use a hair iron to straighten it out.
- David Woolley/Digital Vision/Getty Images