Music is a joyous part of the Christmas season. Old-fashioned carolers, family and friends singing around a piano, and the wide variety of Christmas musicals and movies help make the season memorable. Decorating for Christmas with a French horn is simple; whether this brass instrument was bought for a bargain price at a garage sale or thrift store, or if it is a beloved family heirloom, the French horn fits right in with other holiday decor.
Items you will need
- Pruning shears or sharp scissors
- Silk or fresh pine or evergreen branches
- Rubber band
- Florist wire
- Wire cutters
- Red ribbon, approximately 1 inch wide
- Decorative holiday picks, pine cones or miniature musical instruments
- Sturdy wall hooks
- White or red taper candles and candelabras (optional)
- Christmas-themed ribbon (optional)
Cut fresh evergreen boughs into lengths of 3 to 4 feet with pruning shears or use silk evergreen boughs. Stagger the lengths to create a more natural look.
Hold the boughs together and wrap a rubber band around the center.
Attach the evergreen swag to the back of the French horn with florist's wire. Do this so that the mouthpiece and bell-shaped section of the French horn are facing up. Loop the florist's wire strands around the swag and narrow tubing of the French horn and twist the wire in the back so it doesn't show.
Form a simple bow out of the wide ribbon and attach it to the center of the circle section on the French horn using more florist's wire.
Attach decorative picks of holly berries, pine cones or miniature musical instruments to the French horn and swag with the florist's wire.
Mount sturdy hooks onto the wall to hold the French horn decoration securely in place. Another idea is to form a loop out of the florist's wire at each end of the French horn to make hangers to mount it on the wall.
Tips & Warnings
- Sit the French horn on top of a mantel and add greenery behind and beneath it to add color. Place white or red taper candles in candelabras on either side of the instrument to add an elegant look.
- Purchase Christmas-themed ribbon and wind it around the narrow tubing for a simple and inexpensive Christmas decoration.
- Stockbyte/Stockbyte/Getty Images