If you have a child between the ages of four and 12, chances are you have heard of Squinkies. These squishy toys come in individual, plastic bubbles that pop up to reveal tiny animals, people and accessories. Children enjoy hours of imaginative play, collecting and trading these delightful items. And what do children ultimately want in conjunction with their new favorite toy? Why, a properly-themed birthday party, of course! Create a one-of-a-kind, super-cute Squinkie birthday party featuring coordinating invitations, decorations and a unique cake all designed to have your child -- and her guests -- squealing for Squinkies!
Items you will need
- 8 1/2-by-11-inch bright yellow cardstock
- Single hole punch
- 40-inch hot pink ribbon per invitation
- Solid-colored pink, blue and yellow paper party goods
- Squinkie Cupcake Surprise Bakeshop
- Squinkie Gumball Surprise Playhouse
- Several packages of Squinkies
- Fishing line, 3 ft. per hanging Squinkie
- Step stool
- Medium-sized jar
- Paper and pens
- Squinkies Tea Time Surprise
- White sheet cake
- Jumbo confetti sprinkles
- Number candle
- Pink, yellow and blue goodie bags
- Wooden frame from craft store, one for each guest
- Glue, one for each guest
- Small package of Squinkies, one for each guest
- Rubber blue, yellow or pink balls, one for each guest
- Blue, yellow and pink tissue paper
Make invitations on the computer. Type "Come to a Squinkies Birthday Party!" at the top center. Add the child's name, date of party, location and RSVP information below. Run the yellow cardstock through the printer so that you get two invitations on each piece. Cut the cardstock in half and punch holes spaced one inch around the outer edges of each invitation. Lace the invitations (starting through the back, top left) with pink ribbon. Finish at the starting point and tie a bow.
Decorate the party venue in true Squinkies fashion. Using yellow, blue and pink as the party colors, set out table cloths and paper goods. Add centerpieces to tables using the bake shop and gumball playhouse, which can be purchased at major toy retailers. Open both sets, pop open the plastic bubbles of Squinkies and arrange the scenes. Tie fishing line around Squinkies and secure to the ceiling with pushpins over a table or walkway.
Arrange games and activities before the party guests arrive. Tape one Squinkie to the bottom of a chair. After everyone is finished eating, tell the guests to look under the chairs to reveal who gets to keep a new Squinkie. In addition, fill a small- to medium-sized jar with Squinkies. Have guests write their name and the amount of Squinkies in the jar on a piece of paper. Give the entire jar to the guest who guesses the closest amount. Also, go to the official Squinkies website and print out activities and coloring pages.
Buy a plain, white sheet cake from your local bakery. Purchase the Squinkies Tea Time Surprise set and place it at the center of the cake. Arrange Squinkies on and around the set. Place large confetti sprinkles, evenly spaced, on the top and sides of the cake. Place a number candle with the birthday girl's age on the cake near the front center.
Give goodie bags to the children as they leave. Have a small package of Squinkies in each bag, a little rubber ball and a note with the instructions to "Squinkie Jacks." Or, place glue, a wooden frame and a few Squinkies in a bag for the children to create a one-of-a-kind Squinkie frame. Add tissue paper to the bags to hide the surprise parting gift.
Tips & Warnings
- Use brightly colored yellow, pink and blue pushpins if available.
- Purchase Squinkies in bulk at online retailers, such as Amazon.com.
- Keep the plastic bubbles so that you can put the Squinkies in their home after the party is over.
- Squinkies could be a choking hazard to children under three.
- Pixland/Pixland/Getty Images