Homemade plastic wreaths are often created by folding sandwich bags in half and tying them around a wire frame. Adding ornaments to the wreath enhances the decoration by adding color and texture to the design. Whether you purchase the ornaments or use homemade ornaments to give the wreath decorative appeal, hanging the ornaments in the correct way ensures they do not fall off the decor and break.
Items you will need
- Assorted ornaments
- Narrow ribbon
- Fishing line
- Christmas tinsel or gold string (optional)
- Florist wire and wire cutters (optional)
Ribbon AttachmentStep 1
Cut narrow ribbon into 10- to 12-inch lengths with scissors.
Push one of the ribbon ends through the metal hanger on the ornament.
Pull the two ends of the ribbon to the back of the wreath until the ornament rests snugly against the wreath.
Twist the ribbons together once in the back of the wreath and then bring them to the front of the plastic bag wreath.
Tie a simple bow on the front of the wreath. This adds additional color and texture to the wreath along with the ornament. Repeat the method by spacing each ornament about 2 inches from each other. Continue until you have an assortment of ornaments all around the wreath.
Invisible AttachmentStep 1
Cut fishing line into 6-inch lengths with a pair of scissors.
Push one end through the metal hanger on the ornament.
Position the ornament snugly against the plastic bag wreath and tie the two ends of the fishing twine in a tight knot on the backside of the wreath.
Clip the excess fishing line. This adds the ornaments to the wreath without a visible tie and works well if you desire a classic, elegant appearance on the wreath.
Tips & Warnings
- Use Christmas tinsel or gold string to attach the ornaments if you want to add additional sparkle to the wreath.
- Cut florist wire with wire cutters and twist it around homemade ornaments before attaching them to the wreath. This is an effective way to add embellishments that do not have a metal hanger.
- Burke/Triolo Productions/Brand X Pictures/Getty Images