Decorative pillows can enhance the visual appeal of any room. The many types of fabric and trim available for pillows provide an economical and artistic way to add texture and color without a fuss. Braided trimmings on pillows set a sophisticated tone, especially with dramatic hues such as gold and silver. Instead of purchasing braided pillows, attaching braid to a pillow you already have is a quick project for beautifying your home.
Measure the pillow. Add a few inches to allow for the seams.
Pin the braid onto the pillow, with pins about 1 or 2 inches apart.
Thread the needle, taking care to double or triple knot the thread.
Sew the braid onto the pillow loosely using a basting stitch, gently pulling the thread tight every few inches, so the braid is flat against the pillow and not puckered. When the braid encircles the entire pillow, fold the braid over so that it meets the beginning end. Baste these pieces together so the braid looks seamless on the pillow.
Knot the string several times and snip the loose ends off.
Sewing Machine Method
Remove the cover from the pillow, if possible. Use a needle and thread to loosely baste the braid onto the pillow.
Feed the braided sections into the sewing machine, keeping the pillow fabric as flat as possible. Sew slowly in order to control the stitching, especially for thicker braids.
Sew forward and backward at the beginning of the stitching twice for 1 inch to keep the thread from unraveling. Repeat this process at the end of the stitching.
Measure the pillow and cut the braid to fit, leaving a few inches extra.
Set the braid in place by pinning it to the pillow, with a pin every few inches.
Glue the braid into place. Let the pillow rest while the glue dries.
Tips & Warnings
- Glue may not be able to hold heavier, thicker braids, which benefit from hand basting or the sewing machine.
- Basting works especially well with heavier, thicker braids that won't fit through a sewing machine or that are too heavy for glue. However, using a sewing machine ensures that braid is well attached to a decorative pillow.
- Look in magazines, newspapers and online for ideas about how to decorate pillows with braid.
- Follow safety guidelines with pins, needles, sewing machines and glue guns.
- Jupiterimages/Polka Dot/Getty Images